Pages

Saturday, June 28, 2014

From a former homeschool mom

I used to homeschool my five children. Homeschooling is a great educational option for parents. And I am still a complete supporter of those who choose to home educate their children.  But,I wish that I had been more successful at it. I think for some families it is a great thing, but I don't believe that all families can or should.  I think my family fell somewhere in the middle.  For some of my kids it was a good experience, for some of them not so much.
Three of my children had learning disabilities.  Learning was difficult for them.  One with a language processing disorder with ADHD, and two on the Autism Spectrum.  So it wasn't always a good experience. 
As the two youngest were getting older and having more challenges with their learning, I made the hard decision to put them in public school.  I felt that I wasn't meeting their learning needs at home, and I was overwhelmed.  I want my children to be successful, and to be able to make it in this world.  I needed help.
I have been criticized by both homeschoolers, and public schoolers for my decision. Which I don't understand. They are my children, and I am responsible for them.  I have to make sure that they learn so that they can be successful adults.  No one else.  Shouldn't I get help for them if needed?
I have not regretted my decision! They are thriving in public school.  More than I feel they would have at home.  Because I don't feel I was successful as a homeschool mom, I sometimes regret that I didn't send them all to public school, or that I didn't send the youngest sooner.  This is not a reflection on home education, but a reflection on me and my family. I have friends who have and are successfully homeschooling their children.  With great successes, and graduations!  And I am happy for them.  It just wasn't that experience for us. 
To all the homeschoolers and public schoolers out there, don't judge others so harshly in their decisions to educate their children.  We are all working toward the same goal, and we all love our children.


0 comments:

Post a Comment